Now that we are all playing singles rather than doubles it has been brought to my attention that a number of players at the Club are starting to use the Albany Trophy system to provide a competitive match when one player is evidently stronger than the other. A reminder of the way this works is as follows:-
- Each set begins in the normal way for the first game.
- The loser of the first game starts 15-0 (or 0-15) up in the second game.
- If they win that game, then the starting score for the next one reverts to 0-0
- But if the same player loses again, they start the next game 30-0 (or 0-30) up.
- If they continue to lose (!), their starting score stays at 30-0 (or 0-30).
- Each time they win a game, their starting score drops back to 15-0 (or 0-15) or 0-0, depending on their previous advantage.
- When the starting score is 15-0 (or 0-15), then the first point is served from the left hand side of the court.
- Normal tie break rules apply if the set goes to 6-6.